Breast augmentation is a commonly sought after procedure by a multitude of women. The procedure can increase the size of the breasts by as much as two to three cup sizes as well as bring fullness back to a woman’s breasts after having children. There are so many things to consider when contemplating a breast augmentation procedure.
- What size and shape would you like your breasts after the surgery?
- Would you like saline or silicone implants?
- Where should the incisions be placed?
- Should the implants be placed above or below the pectoral muscles?
While the number of decisions to make can, at first, seem overwhelming, many of these can be made with advice and guidance from our NYC and Long Island Breast Augmentation surgeons on the Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team.
Getting Answers: Are Implants Right for You?
One of the most confusing questions for some of our patients is whether they would like the implants placed above or below the muscle. Unfortunately, there is no single correct answer to this question because the answer relies on the physical characteristics of each woman.
It has been postulated that the risk of capsular contracture may be severely reduced when the implants are placed either partially or entirely beneath the muscle. However, there has been no clear consensus on the subject.
- A submuscular placement of the implant may be the right choice for you if you have little breast tissue. This placement is likely to reduce the possibility of rippling of the breast implant being visible because the muscle creates an additional padding to hide the implant. The placement of the implant under the muscle therefore helps to create the most natural look in women with little breast tissue.
- It is also possible that the submuscular placement of implants makes it possible to obtain clearer and more accurate mammography images for the detection of irregularities later.
- When the implants are placed over the muscle, the additional weight that must be supported by the breast can lead to early sagging, whereas the submuscular placement allows the implant to be supported by the muscle. This can help to prevent early sagging.
Deciding Whether Breast Implants are Right for You
There are a multitude of considerations to take into account when deciding on the breast augmentation that works best for you. The very first step is to get a general idea of the breast size you would like and discuss these expectations with our Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team.
Breast augmentation affects the size of the breasts as well as the shape. Would you like full and round shaped breasts or breasts with a natural teardrop shape? Another consideration is the placement of the incision during the procedure.
Incisions can be made in a variety of places and the choice is usually determined by the visibility of the scar. Our Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team specializes in the no scar breast augmentation which requires years of specialized training and leaves patients with no visible traces of where the incisions were made.
If you are considering breast implants, then we can help you make the right decision. When you are considering plastic surgery, New York has an abundance of talented surgeons, but very few have the extent of training, give natural results, and have top safety records like our Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team does.
Give us a call today at our Long Island or NYC breast implants offices at 212-206-0023 or 631-499-1831 to book your complementary consultation today.
To Helping You Make the Right Choice,
The Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Team